2019 - 2020 Season
The deadline for this application is Friday, March 29th, 2019.
Join a team of hardworking staff members who take pride in the artistic quality of their work. Virginia Repertory Theatre is seeking a seasonal education Intern to join our staff. We are Central Virginia's largest nonprofit professional theatre company, with an annual operating budget of $5.5 million, four distinct venues, an educational touring arm, and an annual audience of 530,000. Virginia Rep creates professional productions of the great comedies, dramas and musicals - past, present and future. We also are dedicated to the development and production of new plays, and we seek to ensure these new works have lives beyond their productions at Virginia Rep.
- Assist with the planning, coordination, and execution of programming including Tiny Tales (preschool story drama), and other classes, workshops, and residencies
- Represent and market the Virginia Rep's Children's Theatre at community events
- Provide administrative support to Education Department as needed
- House manage select Virginia Rep productions at both the Children's Theatre and the November Theatre (supervise volunteer ushers, maintain appropriate conditions in the theatre, and ensure that patrons have an enjoyable theatre experience)
- Additional projects as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in theatre, education or a related field
- Experience and passion for working with children of all ages (particularly preschool and elementary)
- Demonstrated customer service experience
- A high level of comfort with improvisation, as well as ability to model a variety of different character roles during creative drama lessons
- Understanding of theatrical performance and a desire to connect theatre with other subject areas through arts integration
- Work comfortably and effectively in a diverse, collaborative environment
- Strong interest in theatre and/or working for a nonprofit organization preferred
Duration of Internship: August 27th, 2019 – May 22, 2020
Compensation: Interns will receive a bi-weekly stipend and local housing is available for those interns who need it. Interns able to house themselves will receive a stipend of $180/week. Those interns in need of Virginia Rep housing will receive a stipend of $130/week. Each housed intern will share a bedroom with another intern (non-co-ed) in a fully furnished apartment.
Supervisor: Education Manager
How to Apply
The deadline for this internship has passed. Thanks to all who applied. Please check back in the first quarter of 2020 for next year's opportunities.