Electrics Internship - Seasonal
2019 - 2020 Season
Currently Accepting Applications
Join a team of hardworking staff members who take pride in the artistic quality of their work. Virginia Repertory Theatre is seeking a seasonal electrics intern to join our staff. We are Central Virginia's largest nonprofit professional theatre company, with an annual operating budget of $5.5 million, four distinct venues, an educational touring arm, and an annual audience of 530,000. Virginia Rep creates professional productions of the great comedies, dramas and musicals - past, present and future. We also are dedicated to the development and production of new plays, and we seek to ensure these new works have lives beyond their productions at Virginia Rep.
- Assist with electrics load-in, hang, focus, and strike
- Help facilitate lighting for special events and projects
- Clean and organize electrics equipment
- Crew select Virginia Rep productions. Assignments will be made during the course of the year. Assignments may entail run crew, fly rail, spot operator, dresser, etc.
- Additional projects as assigned
- Background in electrics and/or lighting design
- Basic knowledge of modern lighting and control equipment required
- Comfortable lifting up to 50 lbs. and working in a harness at heights of up to approximately 60 ft.
- Work comfortably and effectively in a diverse, collaborative environment
- Strong interest in theatre and/or working for a nonprofit organization preferred
Duration of Internship: August 27th, 2019 – May 22, 2020
Compensation: Interns will receive a bi-weekly stipend and local housing is available for those interns who need it. Interns able to house themselves will receive a stipend of $180/week. Those interns in need of Virginia Rep housing will receive a stipend of $130/week. Each housed intern will share a bedroom with another intern (non-co-ed) in a fully furnished apartment.
Supervisor: Master Electrician / Production Manager