Scenery and Props Internship
2019 - 2020 Season
Currently Accepting Applications
Join a team of hardworking staff members who take pride in the artistic quality of their work. Virginia Repertory Theatre is seeking a seasonal scenery & props intern to join our staff. We are Central Virginia's largest nonprofit professional theatre company, with an annual operating budget of $5.5 million, four distinct venues, an educational touring arm, and an annual audience of 530,000. Virginia Rep creates professional productions of the great comedies, dramas and musicals - past, present and future. We also are dedicated to the development and production of new plays, and we seek to ensure these new works have lives beyond their productions at Virginia Rep.
- Assist in the fabrication, purchasing, and modification of props for all shows
- Help maintain all props and set dressings during the run of shows
- Research various historic periods in order to obtain or fabricate period appropriate props and set dressings
- Communicate with stage management about prop needs
- Help organize and maintain props lists for each show
- Catalogue and organize prop storage
- Crew select Virginia Rep productions. Assignments will be made during the course of the year. Assignments may entail run crew, fly rail, spot operator, dresser, etc.
- Additional projects as assigned
- Have moderate knowledge of basic scenic painting, carpentry, sewing, fabrication, and crafting work; knowledge of welding a plus
- Self-motivated, adept at multitasking and working independently
- Ability to follow direction well and make creative choices when necessary
- Highly organized and capable of abiding by strict deadlines
- Prior scenery construction and design education or experience is a plus
- Work comfortably and effectively in a diverse, collaborative environment
- Strong interest in theatre and/or working for a nonprofit organization preferred
Duration of Internship: August 27th, 2019 – May 22, 2020
Compensation: Interns will receive a bi-weekly stipend and local housing is available for those interns who need it. Interns able to house themselves will receive a stipend of $180/week. Those interns in need of Virginia Rep housing will receive a stipend of $130/week. Each housed intern will share a bedroom with another intern (non-co-ed) in a fully furnished apartment.
Supervisor: Props Master / Production Manager