Scenic Art Internship - Seasonal
2019 - 2020 Season
The deadline for this application is Friday, March 29th, 2019.
Join a team of hardworking staff members who take pride in the artistic quality of their work. Virginia Repertory Theatre is seeking a seasonal scenic art intern to join our staff. We are Central Virginia's largest nonprofit professional theatre company, with an annual operating budget of $5.6 million, four distinct venues, an educational touring arm, and an annual audience of 530,000. Virginia Rep creates professional productions of the great comedies, dramas and musicals - past, present and future. We also are dedicated to the development and production of new plays, and we seek to ensure these new works have lives beyond their productions at Virginia Rep.
- Assist Scenic Charge in painting and touching up stage floors, platforming, set pieces, tour sets, and props
- Clean and organize the paint shop
- Additional projects as assigned
- Crew select Virginia Rep productions. Assignments will be made during the course of the year. Assignments may entail run crew, fly rail, spot operator, dresser, etc.
- Knowledge of basic scenic painting (including color mixing, cartooning, and tools/materials)
- Comfortable working on ladders
- Work comfortably and effectively in a diverse, collaborative environment
- Strong interest in theatre and/or working for a nonprofit organization preferred
Duration of Internship: August 27th, 2019 – May 22, 2020
Compensation: Interns will receive a bi-weekly stipend and local housing is available for those interns who need it. Interns able to house themselves will receive a stipend of $180/week. Those interns in need of Virginia Rep housing will receive a stipend of $130/week. Each housed intern will share a bedroom with another intern (non-co-ed) in a fully furnished apartment.
Supervisor: Scenic Charge / Production Manager
How to Apply
The deadline for this internship has passed. Thanks to all who applied. Please check back in the first quarter of 2020 for next year's opportunities.