Carpentry Summer Internship
The deadline for this application is Friday, March 29th, 2019.
Join a team of hardworking staff members who take pride in the artistic quality of their work. Virginia Repertory Theatre is seeking a summer carpentry intern to join our staff. We are Central Virginia's largest nonprofit professional theatre company, with an annual operating budget of $5.6 million, four distinct venues, an educational touring arm, and an annual audience of 530,000. Virginia Rep creates professional productions of the great comedies, dramas and musicals - past, present and future. We also are dedicated to the development and production of new plays, and we seek to ensure these new works have lives beyond their productions at Virginia Rep.
- Assist with construction, load-in, installation, and strike of sets in all four venues
- Clean and maintain shop facilities and equipment
- Crew select Virginia Rep productions. Assignments will be made during the course of the year. Assignments may include run crew, fly rail, spot operators, dressers, etc.
- Additional projects as assigned
- Basic knowledge of carpentry, including the proper use of hand and power tools
- Able to comfortably lift up to 70 lbs. and working in a harness at heights of up to approximately 60 ft.
- Experience with scenic painting or design preferred
- Work comfortably and effectively in a diverse, collaborative environment
- Strong interest in theatre and/or working for a nonprofit organization preferred
Duration of Internship: June 4 – August 20, 2019
Compensation: Interns will receive a bi-weekly stipend and local housing is available for those interns who need it. Interns able to house themselves will receive a stipend of $180/week. Those interns in need of Virginia Rep housing will receive a stipend of $130/week. Each housed intern will share a bedroom with another intern (non-co-ed) in a fully furnished apartment.
Supervisor: Technical Director / Production Manager
How to Apply
The deadline for this internship has passed. Thanks to all who applied. Please check back in the first quarter of 2020 for next year's opportunities.