Virginia Repertory Theatre is a nonprofit, professional theatre company and the result of the 2012 merger of Barksdale Theatre and Theatre IV. With a budget of $5.6 million, four unique venues, and an educational touring arm, Virginia Rep reaches over 530,000 patrons, students and teachers annually. We are dedicated to the development and production of new plays, and we seek outside producing collaboration to insure the play has a life beyond its development and production at Virginia Rep.
Scenic Paint Charge
Virginia Repertory Theatre is seeking a Scenic Paint Charge to join our full-time staff.
- Maintain the paint inventory for the theatre throughout the season.
- Scenic charge on all Signature, Tour and Children’s season productions (approximately 15 productions) and Hanover season productions when needed (approximately 4 productions).
- Work with designers’ elevations to create samples and execute the designs based on paint elevations delivered on Signature, Tour and Children’s season productions, and assist on Hanover season productions when needed.
- Attend production meetings and help to determine feasibility of paint elevations in relationship to timeline.
- Size and paint drops of varying opacity based on designer elevations and instruction.
- Communicate with designers to make sure that needs are accurately met as far as color, texture, and design elevations or samples.
- Read performance reports and attend to touch-ups as needed.
- Supervise a team and create a schedule based on what is needed for the paint processes.
- Supervise and mentor the Scenic Art Interns and assistants as staffed.
- Assist in prop paint as needed in the development of projects.
- A strong artistic sense and skills
- Strong communications skills
- Faux finish painting
- Strong mixing and blending skills
- Ability to work from designer elevations
- BA or BFA in technical theatre, properties design, or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years professional experience
Please send a cover letter, resume, portfolio, salary history and 4 references to email@example.com with the subject line (your last name) – Scenic Paint Charge. No phone calls please.
This position is eligible for annual and sick leave, participation in company health, life, disability, and dental insurance plans, as well as our 403(b) retirement plan. Starting annual salary is $30K negotiable, based on experience. Virginia Repertory Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Resume on File
If you'd like to be considered for future employment opportunities, we keep resumes on file. Resumes should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.